(a) Following the service agent’s response (see §40.379(b)) or, if no response is received, after 30 days have passed from the date on which the service agent received the NOPE, the Director may take one of the following steps:
(1) In response to a request from the service agent (see §40.379(b)(1)) or on his or her own motion, the Director may dismiss a PIE proceeding if he or she determines that it does not concern serious noncompliance with this part or DOT agency regulations, consistent with the Department’s policy as stated in §40.365.
(i) If the Director dismisses a proposed PIE under this paragraph (a), the action is closed with respect to the noncompliance alleged in the NOPE.
(ii) The Department may initiate a new PIE proceeding against you on the basis of different or subsequent conduct that is in noncompliance with this part or other DOT drug and alcohol testing rules.
(2) If the Director determines that the initiating official’s submission does not have complete information needed for a decision, the Director may remand the matter to the initiating official. The initiating official may resubmit the matter to the Director when the needed information is complete. If the basis for the proposed PIE has changed, the initiating official must send an amended NOPE to the service agent.
(b) The Director makes determinations concerning the following matters in any PIE proceeding that he or she decides on the merits:
(1) Any material facts that are in dispute;
(2) Whether the facts support issuing a PIE;
(3) The scope of any PIE that is issued; and
(4) The duration of any PIE that is issued.