(a) EBTs on the NHTSA CPL for evidential devices that meet the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section are the only devices you may use to conduct alcohol confirmation tests under this part. Note that, among devices on the CPL for EBTs, only those devices listed without an asterisk (*) are authorized for use in confirmation testing in the DOT alcohol testing program.
(b) To conduct a confirmation test, you must use an EBT that has the following capabilities:
(1) Provides a printed triplicate result (or three consecutive identical copies of a result) of each breath test;
(2) Assigns a unique number to each completed test, which the BAT and employee can read before each test and which is printed on each copy of the result;
(3) Prints, on each copy of the result, the manufacturer’s name for the device, its serial number, and the time of the test;
(4) Distinguishes alcohol from acetone at the 0.02 alcohol concentration level;
(5) Tests an air blank; and
(6) Performs an external calibration check.